I know there’s those people who make chocolate brownies so healthy that dust is more calorific. You know the one’s who act like they shit rainbow fairies whilst compulsively instagramming every mouthful. And for those people, I’m really happy for you. But I’m not one of those people. No, no. I don’t like fake anything- people, handbags, food…. in fact anything apart from tan needs to be real. Fake tan I can handle. But fake chocolate brownies? You kidding me? Either give me the real thing or get outta the kitchen. So safe to say, this isn’t a recipe for the faint hearted. It’s everything I want to accompany a cup of tea. There’s butter and chocolate galore, and the brownies are so delicious for it. I’ve just put the basic recipe below, and then there’s several ideas for flavour variations if you’re feeling fancy. THIS is what Sunday’s were made for!
3 (generous) tablespoons of chocolate spread
1 tablespoon caster sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons plain flour
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease and line the baking tray.
- Melt the chocolate spread and butter together in a bowl over a saucepan of hot water. Whilst they are melting, in a separate dish/measuring jug beat the eggs and sugar together.
- Once the chocolate spread and butter combo is melted, add the eggs and sugar to it, taking the bowl off the heat.
- Add the flour and mix well.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes.
Triple Chocolate – Add 2 tablespoons of dark chocolate chips and 2 tablespoons of white chocolate chips to the mix after the flour
Chocolate Orange – Add the finely grated rind of three large oranges and the juice of 1/2 an orange to the mix after stirring in the flour
Raspberry Surprise – Chop 2 tablespoons of raspberries into quarters and add to the mix after the flour, if desired you could also add a tablespoon of white chocolate chips too
Ferrero Rocher – Once the mix has been transferred into the baking tray, add halved Ferrero Rocher’s on top
These are just some of my favourites, what are yours?